New Home Buyer’s Guide: Questions to ask a builder.
So you’re ready to build a brand new home and need to source a builder who can bring your vision to a reality.
Building a new home is a huge financial and emotional investment, taking the extra time to do a thorough check on any prospective builder, their workmanship, references and credentials is crucial to finding the right builder for your job.
One of the best ways to find a builder is to visit a range of display homes in your favoured suburb. Once you have found a house with the design you like, it’s time to get down to the details and get the answers you need.
- What is included and what isn’t? Display homes feature the best fittings, finishes and appliances which may not be included in the standard package.
- Can I make changes to the layout? Now is the time to ask about any layout changes you want, some buyers like to make changes but these can prove problematic for the builders.
- How long will the build take? The answer to this question will guide you on realistic and achievable timeframes.
- Are you licenced? Be sure to only ever work with licenced tradesmen, a quick search on ‘google’ will provide further evidence of a builders licence credentials.
- Do you have builder’s insurance? You need to make sure your builder issues you a Certificate of Currency for Home Indemnity Insurance before you pay them anything. This covers you for financial loss should the builder die, become insolvent or do a runner.
- Can I visit recent projects or speak with a recent customer? You should be able to look at the builders’ recently completed work. This way you can see for yourself if the builder is doing the type of job you want for your home. Check out the quality of products used and the work completed. If possible, speak to the builders’ clients and get references. This way you can get feedback about customer experience and satisfaction.
Often when potential customers visit a display home they are fitted with all the high end optional extras that are not included in the base package, this can lead to a build that far exceeds your original budget. At Achieve Homes we have a ‘what you see is what you get’ transparency which means what you see in the display homes is included in your package. We pride ourselves on building real homes for real people.
Got a question for us? Call (02) 6280 6778 to speak to one of our team or visit a www.achievehomes.com.au/