Things to Consider When Buying a House
You drive around your ideal neighbourhood and find the perfect house design, but what are the things to consider when buying a house? While the look and feel of your favourite home might be enough for you to sign on the dotted line, there are many things to consider including your budget, location, available grants, lifestyle, whether to buy an existing home or build a new home – the list is endless.
If you’re a new home buyer looking for a new home in Canberra, we’ve gathered the must-know tips to consider ahead of buying a home.
Understanding your eligibility for the First Home Owners Grant
For many, one of the top considerations ahead of buying a first home is ensuring that you’ve checked out all grants in your state or territory to make sure you understand whether or not you’re eligible.
The First Home Owners Grant is a national scheme with each state and territory having its own eligibility requirements and grant amounts.
In the ACT, for example, there is a grant of $7,000 for new home owners to put towards the purchase of a new or renovated home that is valued at $750,000 or less. As well as this, for ACT residents, there are stamp duty concessions available based on total income and number of dependent children available for home buyers purchasing their first home.
Things to consider when buying a house
When you are ready to buy a house, here are a few things to consider to ensure you are focusing on all the essential elements before you dive into a property purchase.
- Purpose – are you purchasing the home as an investment or to live in full-time? This will allow you to determine if you are eligible for any new home owners grants in your state or territory. With the new homebuyer grant or First Home Buyers Grant available in every state or territory in Australia, purchases can receive grants of anywhere between $7,000 and $20,000 based on their eligibility as well as stamp duty concessions.
- Lifestyle – consider what to get out of your lifestyle when you choose the location of your new home – do you want to be surrounded by parks, schools, amenities and get involved in the community? Or are you looking for a property that is away from the hustle and bustle and don’t require public transport? Your lifestyle is an important consideration when buying a house.
- Budget – it goes without saying that you should consider a home that you can realistically afford – and never go beyond your budget. Focus on factoring costs such as maintenance, repairs, water bills, electricity, insurance and everything else that you need to spend when buying and maintaining a property – as the mortgage is just the beginning.
- Location – where your home is situated could be one of the most important factors to consider when buying a new house or building a home using a house and land package. As the old saying goes, location is one of the key features in property if you are going to access a profitable investment.
- Floor plan and size of your home – when you are looking at new home designs or at potential homes to purchase that are existing you need to consider your future plans such as starting or growing your family, and whether you need a home office or space for specific purposes such as a workshop, large garage for a boat, and much more. Consider both your existing needs and your future needs to ensure you get the best space and layout for your needs.
If you’re in the market to build a new home in Canberra and take advantage of available grants including the Home Builder and First Home Owners Grants, Achieve Homes can help with your eligibility and the design of your house and land package.
The team from Achieve Homes offers customised designs and a range of house and land packages to ensure you find the perfect fit for your needs and budget. Purchasers who are new to the property market and first home buyers can take advantage of existing grants available in the ACT to buy their first home.